The Colzium Estate (known locally as the Colzium) is situated in the Kelvin Valley just to the north-west of Kilsyth.
Situated within the beautiful grounds is the Colzium House, the Walled Garden, Colzium Ice House, the Arboretum and Gardens including the Walled Garden.
In 1782, Sir Archibald Edmonstone of Duntreath acquired the Colzium estate and started the building of the House. This continued with a further major addition in 1861. Parts of the estate were sold in 1930
when W MacKay Lennox bought the House and later in 1937 he presented it in memory of his mother, Margaret Lennox, to the Kilsyth Burgh when he retired as Town Clerk. The older portion, which was positioned
where the present day interior courtyard is located, was unfortunately knocked down after the 2nd world war owing to its poor condition. Today part of the House is home to a small museum and other
areas are available for hire and functions on 01236 823281 though it proves to be very popular owing to its excellent surroundings.
THE WALLED GARDEN
This is home to many rare plants and it has something to offer throughout the
year. The well maintained stock are often featured on national gardening programmes. Admission is free open and it is usually open afternoons from April to September. Call 01236 825070.
COLZIUM ICE HOUSE
It is believed that Lord Kilsyth's younger brother, William, was responsible for
getting the Ice House built. It is believed to date from the 17th century. Ice houses were the equivalent of today's refrigerators and this one is situated
about 100 feet (30 metres) from the main house in the glen of the Colzium burn. It is basically rectangular with the door and a passageway of the north side.
The floor is stone covered with drainage into the glen outside. Adjacent is a game storage pit. It was in 1977 that the Ice House was excavated and repaired.
Over the years this extensive collection of trees and shrubs have been laid out
in an area between the end of the lawns and the main Stirling Road (A803). Many are labelled and include ash, cherries, cotoneasters, rhododendrons,
rowans and sycamores. In spring and summer time these are complemented by flowers and other attractive plants.
In addition to the Walled Garden and the fine Arboretum, there are many other attractive plants in the grounds. Besides cultivated varieties, there are many
wild plants especially as you walk up the glen above the House towards the Tak-ma-doon Road. Visiting at different times of the year will introduce you new sights and fragrances.
The pond is one of the oldest in Scotland and it is still filled with shallow water
today and is an excellent pond for testing out model boats including radio controlled sailing boats.
THE CLOCK THEATRE
Originally thought to have been a laundry or an animal house, it was restored
for use as a theatre.
PITCH & PUTT COURSE
This is arranged on the lawns just below the House and is open throughout for the summer.
RUINS OF COLZIUM CASTLE
About 350 feet (100 metres) north of the House lies the ruins of the Castle
which was built in the 15th century by the Livingstons of Callender and which was thought to have replaced the Motte at Castlehill. The castle survived until
1703 when it was demolished by the third Viscount Kilsyth. Some of the castle was excavated in the 1970s.